Pressed flowers are a great way to add a touch of nature to your home décor. There are many ways to use pressed flowers, from framing them to making them into cards or jewellery.
Here are some ideas to get you started.
Pressed flowers are flowers that have been packed in between the pages of a book or heavy object. The process of pressing flowers is simple and only requires a few materials. Once pressed, flowers can be used for many things, such as craft projects, scrapbooking, or pressed flower art.
To make it, you need a heavy book, some tissue or wax paper, and your flowers.
- Place the tissue or wax paper inside the book’s pages, and then arrange your flowers on top.
- Close the book and weigh it with something heavy, like a stack of other readers.
- Check your flowers after a few days to see how they’re progressing.
- Once they’re pressed to your liking, you can use them in various ways.
It has been around for centuries. It is said that the first pressed flowers were found in the tomb of a Chinese princess dating back to the Han Dynasty. Since then, it has been used as decoration and a way to preserve memories.
The Victorians were especially fond of this and often used them to decorate letters, scrapbooks, and furniture. It became so popular during this time that special presses were created to help preserve their delicate beauty.
Getting started on these flowers is easy and only requires a few supplies. All you need are some flowers, paper, and something to press the flowers with. Once you have your supplies gathered, you can start packing your flowers!
Flowers used in arrangements can come from any source. You can grow your own flowers or go on a nature hike and find some wildflowers. Once you have your flowers, there are many ways to use them! All types of flowers can be pressed, so get creative!
The foliage of the flower is what gives it its colour and shape. The flower will retain its colour, but the body will be flattened. Their foliage can be used to create:
- gift tags
Designing with Pressed Flowers
Using these designs is an excellent way to add a natural touch to any paper craft project. It can be used in projects such as scrapbooking, greeting cards, invitations, and journals.
There are many ways to press flowers. The most common method is to place the flowers between two sheets of absorbent paper, such as newspaper, and then weigh the top sheet with a heavy book.
Pressed Flowers Uses Ideas
There are ideas for these flowers that go beyond pushing them in a book. You can find them for sale at many craft stores, which are easy to press at home. Once you have your flowers, here are some ideas to get you started.
Pressed Flower iPhone Case
An iPhone case is a phone case that is made with these flowers. You can find packed flower iPhone cases for sale online and in some stores. They are a popular choice for people who want to add a touch of nature to their phones. To make an iPhone case, you need to:
- Choose flowers you wish to use for your design. You can find them online or at a craft store.
- Place the flowers on the iPhone case where you want them to go.
- Once the flowers are in place, apply a layer of mod podge over them.
- Allow the mod podge to dry completely.
Pressed Flower Petal Tea Tray
It is a tea tray that can be used to make tea. To make a flower petal tea tray, you will need:
- Place the pressed flowers into the boiling water.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and enjoy!
Do-it-yourself Pressed Flower Coasters
The coasters are simply coasters that have been made with these flowers. You can use any flowers to do this project, but we recommend using daisies, roses, or other similar flowers. To make DIY flower coasters, you need to:
- Gather your flowers. You can use store-bought flowers, or you can press your own.
- Lay out your pressed flowers on a piece of wax or parchment paper, and arrange them how you want them to look on the coaster.
- Once you’re happy with the arrangement, apply a layer of mod podge to the coaster with a foam brush.
- Place the flowers onto the coaster, and press them down gently.
- Apply another layer of mod podge over the flowers, and let it dry completely.
- Once the mod podge is dry, you can optionally apply a clear sealant to the coaster to help protect it from water damage.
- Finally, add a cork or felt circle to the back of the coaster to prevent it from scratching surfaces.
Lanterns/luminaria with pressed flowers
Luminaria is lanterns made with these flowers. These lanterns can be used as decorations, centrepieces, or wedding favours. Pressed luminaria flowers are easy to make and only require a few materials.
- Gather your materials. You will need the flowers, scissors, a pen or pencil, construction paper, a stapler, and a battery-operated tea light.
- Cut a square out of the construction paper. It should be big enough to wrap around the flowers and tea light.
- Fold the square diagonally and then in half again to create a triangle.
- Staple the flowers into the triangle.
- Fold the triangle around the flowers and tea light, ensuring that the tea light is turned off.
- Staple the triangle closed.
- Your luminaria with flowers is now complete!
Pressed Flower Jewellery
It is a type of jewellery that uses flowers to create unique and beautiful pieces. They are often used in necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and other types of jewellery.
These flowers are often used in necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. They can also be used in other types of jewellery, such as pendants and brooches. They are usually placed between two pieces of glass or plastic and then sealed with glue or resin. This helps to protect the flowers and keep them from fading.
Jewellery Box with Pressed Flowers
This design is beautiful and can be used to accentuate any project. A packed flower jewellery box is a simple and elegant way to show off your flowers. You can use any flower, from roses to daisies, to create a one-of-a-kind jewellery box. To make the design, you will need to:
- Choose the flowers you would like to use. You can press your flowers or purchase pressed flowers from a craft store.
- Place the flowers on the top of the jewellery box, arranging them however you like.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the flowers to the jewellery box.
- Allow the glue to dry completely before using the jewellery box.
Stained Glass Sun Catchers with Pressed Flowers
Stained glass sun catchers with pressed flowers are a beautiful and unique way to add colour and light to any room. You can use any flower you like, but we recommend pressing flowers for this project. Pressed flowers have a delicate beauty that is perfect for stained glass suncatchers. To make your own stained glass sun catcher, you will need to:
- Begin by sketching your design on the back of the clear contact paper. You can use any design you like, but we recommend a simple method for your first sun catcher.
- Next, cut out your design from the contact paper.
- Once your design is cut out, peel off the backing and apply the contact paper to the glass.
- Now it’s time to add the pressed flowers! Begin by peeling off the backing of the pressed flowers. Then, position the flowers on the contact paper. You can use as many or as few flowers as you like.
- Once satisfied with your design, cover the pressed flowers with another piece of clear contact paper.
- Use a pencil to trace around the edge of the contact paper. Then, cut out the traced design.
Framing Pressed Flowers
Framing pressed flowers is a creative way to display your pressed flowers and can make for a beautiful and unique piece of art.
- All you need is a frame, some clear glass or plastic, and your pressed flowers.
- Arrange your pressed flowers on the glass or plastic, and then place the glass or plastic inside the frame.
- You can Hang your framed pressed flowers on a wall or place them on a shelf or table.
Pressed Flower Sculptures
Pressed flower sculptures are pressed flowers made by combining different pressed flowers to create a sculpture. To make pressed flower sculptures, you will need to:
- Choose your pressed flowers. Make sure to pick a variety of colours and sizes.
- Arrange the pressed flowers on your base. Play around with the arrangement until you are happy with it.
- Once you have arranged the pressed flowers, use hot glue or floral wire to secure them.
- Allow the glue or wire to dry before displaying your stuffed flower sculpture.
Pressed Flower Tattoos
A pressed flower tattoo is a type of tattoo that uses pressed flowers to create a design. These tattoos are not only beautiful, but they can also be significant. For example, you could use pressed flowers from your wedding bouquet to create a tattoo commemorating your special day. Or, you could use pressed flowers from a loved one’s funeral to make a tattoo honouring their memory.
These tattoos can be created using any flower, but some of the most popular choices include roses, lilies, and daisies. To make your tattoo, the pressed flowers are placed onto your skin and then held in place with adhesive.
Don’t have time to Press Your Flower?
You can buy pressed flowers if you don’t have time to push your flower. Most craft stores will sell them in packs.
So, even if you’re busy, you can still enjoy the beauty of pressed flowers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Pressed Flowers
What flowers are good for a flower press?
There are a few things you’ll need to consider when pressing flowers. The first is the type of flower. Not all flowers will work well for pressing. Flowers that have a lot of water, such as roses, lilies, and gerberas, will not work well because they will turn to mush. Try selecting flowers that are more sturdy, like daisies, sunflowers, or lavender.
Another thing to consider is the condition of the flower. Make sure the petals are fully open and dry before pressing them. If the petals are still wet or damp, they will not press well and may mold.
Finally, you’ll need to gather some supplies: a flower press (or
Will my flowers fade when you pressed them?
The pressing process preserves the colour and general appearance of flowers quite well. However, there may be some minor fading over time as the pressed flower ages.
Flowers that have been pressed for a long time or under great pressure can sometimes form a “plastic” film on the surface. This film is not always aesthetically pleasing, and it can give the pressed flower a dull or cloudy appearance. Pressed flowers can also develop small cracks over time, but these typically don’t affect the overall look of the flower very much.
Can’t I just press my own flowers?
Yes, you can press your own flowers by following a few simple steps. First, you’ll need to gather some fresh flowers. It’s best to pick flowers that are in the early stages of wilting, as they will be easier to press. Cut the flowers from the stem and remove any leaves or petals that will fall off. Next, place the flowers between two pieces of absorbent paper (like newspaper or paper towel) and then sandwich them with a heavy book. Leave the flowers in this position for about 2-3 weeks until they are completely dried out. Once they are dry, you can store them in an airtight container. Enjoy your homemade pressed flowers!
What is the point of pressed flowers?
Well, the short answer is that pressed flowers can be used for crafts or as decorations. But there’s a bit more to it than that.
Pressed flowers can be used to make cards, stationery, ornaments, and more. They can also be used as a way to preserve flowers that you might not have the opportunity to dry and keep otherwise. By pressing the flowers, you help them to retain their colour and form, which makes them a nice addition to any craft project.
What is the best way to store pressed flowers?
The best way to store pressed flowers is by placing them between two pieces of wax paper in a sealed plastic bag or container. You can also place them in a small book or album.
If you want to preserve the colour of the pressed flowers, you can spray them with a sealant such as hairspray or clear acrylic sealer. Make sure to spray from all directions so that the sealant covers every part of the flower. You can also use a UV-protective coating, such as Mod Podge, which will protect the flowers from fading over time.
How long do pressed flowers take to dry?
It depends on the type of flower and the humidity in the air. In general, most flowers will be completely dry in 2-3 days. However, if it’s a very humid day, it might take a little longer.
If you want to speed up the drying process, you can place the flowers in a dehydrator or put them in the oven on low heat (around 100 degrees Fahrenheit).
What paper do you use for pressing flowers?
There are a few different types of papers you can use for pressing flowers: construction paper, white printer paper, and wax paper. If you’re using construction paper, make sure it’s at least 110# weight or heavier. If you’re using printer paper, make sure it’s at least 24# weight. Wax paper is ideal because it doesn’t cause the flower to stick to the paper and it prevents bleeding.
Can you laminate pressed flowers?
Yes! You can laminate pressed flowers by using a spray adhesive.
The best adhesive to use for this purpose is a spray adhesive. It will provide an even coat and will help to keep the pressed flowers in place. Make sure that you allow the adhesive to dry completely before handling the flowers, or they may stick together.
Do pressed flowers mould?
No, they don’t mould. However, any water that is left in the petals will cause them to rot over time. It’s best to press flowers between two pieces of paper towel so that they can absorb the water quickly and keep the petals from withering.
Why did my pressed flowers turn brown?
There are a few reasons why your pressed flowers might have turned brown. One possibility is that the flowers weren’t completely dry when you pressed them. When moisture is left in the flower, it can cause the pigment to change and brown over time. Another possibility is that the flowers were stored in an area with high humidity, which can also cause discolouration over time. Finally, if the flowers were stored in direct sunlight, that could also lead to them turning brown.